THE Vanuatu Government is intending to bring in laws to regulate:
– political parties,
– candidates standing for election to Parliament, and
– the movement and affiliation of Members of Parliament,
for the purpose of reducing political instability and enhancing the integrity of Parliament and its members.
The proposed political reform package of the Government consists of one new law, an amendment to the Constitution, and amendments to two existing laws.
The four proposed Bills are:
1. A new law, the Bill for the Political Parties (Regulation) Act
2. An amendment to the Constitution, The Constitution (Seventh)(Amendment) Act
3. Bill for the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act
4. Bill for the Charitable Associations (Incorporation)(Amendment) Act
The Government wishes to seek the views of members of the public on this proposed political reform package.
The Prime Minister, Charlot Salwai Tabimasmas, introduced the proposed political reform package in Parliament on the 18th of December 2018 and asked all MP’s to consult with their constituents and obtain their views regarding the proposed package.
“These draft Bills which I am introducing are not for the Government alone but for the nation. So everyone has to give their views on them,” he said.
You can read the entire speech given by the Prime Minister when he was introducing the proposed political reform package in Parliament on the 18th of December 2018 here (in Bislama): https://www.gov.vu/bi/pablik-infomesen/735-presentation-blong-bill-blong-political-parties-regulation-act-no-of-2018-wetem-ol-consequential-bills
The proposed draft Bills can be viewed at:
1. Bill for the Political Parties (Regulation) Act: https://www.gov.vu/en/public-information/731-bill-for-the-political-parties-regulation-act-no-of-2018
2. The Constitution (Seventh)(Amendment) Act: https://www.gov.vu/en/public-information/727-bill-for-the-constitution-seventh-amendment-act-no-of-2018
3. Bill for the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act: https://www.gov.vu/en/public-information/733-bill-for-the-representation-of-the-people-amendment-act-no-of-2018
4. Bill for the Charitable Associations (Incorporation)(Amendment) Act: https://www.gov.vu/en/public-information/729-bill-for-the-charitable-associations-incorporation-amendment-act-no-of-2018
For any queries or more information about these proposed Bills or the proposed political reform package, contact The Principal Electoral Officer on email email@example.com or telephone 23914.
To make submissions on the these proposals, submit to:
The Principal Electoral Officer
The deadline for submissions is February 15, 2019.